Monday, February 21, 2011

Well, today has been one week since Sissy arrived at SW Medical Center.  Last night Kathy stayed the night with Sissy in the hospital, per the nursing staff's request (since Sissy's been in the process of waking up from the sedation - she needs someone to be there).  This morning I (Wes) drove Ashley to the hospital to take over for Kathy while I drove Kathy to the airport to catch her flight back home to Florida.  Jane & Ashley met with the medical oncologist this morning to discuss Sissy's treatment plan.  The plan is on Wednesday to have the radiation therapy oncologist perform a specialized radiation treatment on the lower quadrant of her left lung.  That said, Sissy will need to stay on the ventilator until sometime after Wednesday's treatment.

Ian's brother, Andy, arrived from Ohio early this morning.  We know that having Andy here is going to give Ian the extra strength and comfort he needs - plus, one more person to give Jane a hard time never hurts!  Also, Sissy's brother, Scott, and his wife Tammy, arrived this evening from Florida (thanks, Ashley, for playing chauffeur).

Sissy was a lot more awake for short periods of time today.  She's able to communicate with her eyes, shaking her head yes/no, moving of her lips (which is tough to do when you have that darn tube in your mouth!) and moving her arms...particularly to push Ian's face out of her face when he was singing "you are my sunshine, my only sunshine..."  We all had a real good laugh at that!  I brought in a new picture of Bubby I took this morning and Ian showed it to Sissy - she did a smile when she saw it.

All in all, not too bad of a day - we're making progress in the right direction.  Thanks for all the comments here!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the updates, I'm looking every day for one, and lifting her up in spirit. I know she is so lucky to have all of you by her side.
    Deena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy and Scott are my aunt and uncle. Just wanted to say thank you for the updates, I'll be praying for Sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fight, girl, fight! Being born a Girvin I KNOW you have that natural stubborn-ness and absolute REFUSAL to give up! As my Dad, your Uncle Jerry, loves to say "Steer toward the sound of the gun fire!" We are all praying for you and sending you all of OUR strength and stubborn-ness!
    Your cousin Heather

    ReplyDelete